Atomic Space Tools is an offshoot of Atomic Space Navy. While AST started to as part of ASN development I am of the belief that it is of use to science fiction enthusiasts and creators, and potentially as part of a science education.
Orbit Toy is a gravitational simulation that can take editable system definitions and simulate them out for hundreds or thousands of years. It has been tested against NASA data on the solar system over a century, and while it may not be up to planning actual missions it does appear to be stable and closely resemble reality if not exactly match it. Orbit Toy allows for graphical viewing of a system as it evolves, or for command line usage with options that can be used to get interesting data out of long runs.
Atomic Space Tools contains documentation explaining its use and several example solar systems, both real and fictional, to get you started. If the documentation is insufficient or the program flawed, feel free to contact me and I”ll do what I can to correct any issues.
The mac version lacks the console version OrbitToy, due to my inability to build and test for a mac.
ATOMIC SPACE TOOLS:
- Combined orbit toy and system builder into one project.
- Corrected improper camera positioning in both programs.
- Numerous changes to level files.
- Lots of under the hood cleanup and reorganizing.
- Added a visible scale reference to all current tools.
- Adjusted line width and look to something a bit nicer.
- Changed player settings to run in background.
- Motion plots now scale to consistent screen sizes as the camera moves.
- Added an indication of what system is currently being simulated.
- Camera zoom is now adjusted to fit systems on load.
- Level listings now scroll if there are enough levels to require it.
- Corrected handling of phase angle(true anomaly). Twice.
- Paths and labels are now hidden when the visual size of the orbit is very small to avoid clutter.
- Duplicate body names will no longer be accepted.
- Added the ability to update all edited values of a body in one click./li>
- Added the ability to revert all unapplied changes to a body.
- The camera now auto-focuses on the furthest-orbiting planet at load.
- The tree view is automatic sorted by semi major axis whenever that is updated.
- Tool now starts properly even if Sol system is absent.